Thursday 17 April 2014

Day 10: Clare - Ceduna (777km, 6697km total)



Clare is a pleasant little country town.

I took the minor road out of Clare towards Wilmington – same speed limits as the main road but much less traffic. Today I share the road with three emus, a skink and of all things - a stag. He stood in the middle of the road and stared me down, but leapt over a fence and was away before I could get my camera out.

Some quaint little towns & villages along the way like Laura & Melrose. Georgetown proudly announces itself with a sign at the edge of town claim to be “Australia’s largest inland grain storage facility”: well, why wouldn’t you boast about it? 

Wilmington is nothing to write home about. It was from here that I started back along the road I travelled east on last week at. Back through Horrocks pass, but this time in sunshine. It seems much shorter now than it did when it was in a cloud!

I made a schoolboy error at Port Augusta: I’m 20km the other side of town when I work out that I’ll be too tight on fuel to make it to the next station. Bollocks – I just added 40km to the dullest road on the planet and ride back to Port Augusta to refuel.

Back on the dreaded Eyre Highway, I pull off into the town of Kimba - I’d stopped at the Roadhouse before but didn’t realise there was a small town/village just off the highway. Nice looking hotel that I’ll remember if I’m ever back this way – looks much better than the Roadhouse motels.

Here I decide Ceduna is my destination for the day, sort out the motel and hit the road again. This is the Eyre Highway, there’s not a lot more to say about it.

Ceduna is a bit of a disappointment – not sure why I expected more. I’ll be hitting the road early I think ….

1 comment:

  1. Double Nullabor! The thing I remember about Ceduna - is ... nothing. :-)

    Enjoy the return leg.

    ReplyDelete