Thursday 10 April 2014

Day 3: Penong – Streaky Bay – Peterborough (715km, 2611km total)

Map: Penong - Streaky Bay - Peterborough



While I slept, the rain & drizzle that I rode through yesterday got ahead of me, so I could ride through it again today – sneaky bastard weather.

The Eyre Highway was as dull as yesterday so I took a short detour through Streaky Bay, a bit more scenic than sticking to the highway. Decent coffee and doughnut in the bakery.
Streaky Bay

Made it back onto the highway, mainly long stretches opening out onto wide plains in places. An impressive statue of the Granite Farmer at Wudinna.
The Wudinna Granite Farmer
It turns out that there’s been an exceptional amount of rain in the area – 80mm in two days. This caused the highway either side of Iron Knob to be completely flooded (surely there’s a gag in there somewhere?). Riding through these floods, this road riding wus felt like a real adventure rider for 30 seconds.

The wind was blowing an unpleasant stink across Port Augusta so I didn’t bother stopping. Headed through then turned left towards Peterborough. The good news was that a little way ahead were some hills (a treat after 2½ days on the flat) – Horrocks Pass, the bad news was the black & grey clouds that covered them. Sure enough, as I got near it started raining - spoiled the short winding road through the hills. Near the top it was in cloud, visibility down to 25m. What a shame, I’m sure this is a favourite road for the PA weekend warriors. Over the top and there were more hills in the distance – a long way away and I could see them! Skies cleared a bit and some fun was had.
The rain of Horrocks Pass behind me


Orroroo ahead
10km out from Peterborough it really let it down – I was dripping all over the reception desk checking into the Peterborough Motel (which is very pleasant).


























Looking at the weather forecast for the next couple of days I think I need to change the plan - this band of rain is heading to where I want to be. So, I think I’ll head Head for Broken Hill tomorrow and do some touristing for the day to allow the rain to clear ahead.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment