Sunday 13 April 2014

Day 6: Tumut – Tumbarumba – Cabramurra – Khancoban – Thredbo - Jindabyne (320km, 4195km total)

The view from Scammell's Ridge
Today’s ride could not be more different to the previous five days. The day starts and ends with roads gently winding through the mountains. What's in between is bucket list riding! The road narrows, climbs & descends the sides of mountains time and time again. Words and photos don’t do it justice, I took plenty of video from my helmet camera and I’ll post that when I get a chance. Hairpin after hairpin, tight turns, some with barriers most without with a sheer drop at the road edge. Road signs caution for fallen rocks and they’re not wrong: rocks and tree branches scattered across the roads in many places. The wildlife made some appearances too, a couple of echidnas and a very sturdy wombat wandering across the road. Very little traffic, mostly other bikes but one convoy of 4WD nearly caught me by surprise. Some heroes pedalling their way along – not the lycra types, more the tourist.  I ride these roads like an arthritic grandmother but I still love it and the grin will last years J

Cabramurra

Cabramurra

Cabramurra
Cabramurra is the highest town in Australia and is popular with bikers.










I stop for fuel & lunch at Khancoban and find a Ducati Riders club (about 12 of them) having lunch at the café next door. 
The first question I was asked as I passed through them into the café “Have you ridden from WA?”
“Yes, but not today, obviously” seemed to generate some kudos, despite me riding a Honda. When they asked me what route I took, they seemed quite sceptical that you could ride from Broken Hill to Tumut in a day: if I still had my Multistrada I’d agree with them! We chatted a while and I got some good tips on the road ahead.












The road runs along the top of the spillway
There was a poor Landcruiser bleeding away at Scammell's Ridge.


Lake Jindabyne
My motel room looks out over Lake Jindabyne. After a short walk around the town I discover what happens at a ski resort out of season: nothing. All the restaurants are closed except for those in the hotels. I settle for dinner in the Bistro of my motel. The Bistro is the size of an aircraft hanger that could easily hide 500 people: this place is geared up for the snow bunnies.

Heading to the east coast tomorrow and from there, who knows …


2 comments:

  1. Nice! The cream arrives...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scenery! Ducatis all running or were they waiting for spares?

    ReplyDelete