Thursday 17 April 2014

Day 9: Swan Hill – Mildura - Clare (620km, 5920km total)



Headed out of town towards Mildura. The downside on being south of the Murray river (and hence in Victoria) is that while there are more towns & villages to see, there’s also a 100kph limit. On similar roads across the river it’s 110kph. The road crosses the Murray at Robinvale and yey, 110kph for a while. It crosses back over the river again at Mildura which is a much bigger town than I expected. Has quite a modern feel to it as well as its heritage past. For some reason the stretch of road towards Renmark and the South Australia border is 100kph even though it’s still in VIC.

Met an old fella called Steven when I was refuelling at the Yamba Quarantine Checkpoint just outside Renmark. He had bought a Honda Crossrunner (the smaller version of my bike) in Perth, flew over from his home in Sydney, picked it up and was riding it home. He said it was on his bucket list to ride across the Nullarbor and this way he only had to do it once. He was a bit annoyed though that he had picked up a speeding ticket earlier in the morning: despite telling him how he was retired and never had a speeding ticket in 40 years of riding a bike etc. the cop still issued him with a ticket – 10kph over the limit, $400!!! Slowed me down a bit for the rest of the day.

I’d booked a great little motel just outside town with a very friendly owner. I had a few minutes standing at a table outside overlooking the pool, having a drink, checking emails and phoning home etc. When I got back to my room I discovered that I’d gotten a cluster of bloody mozzie bites on my ass – I was wearing shorts. They are gonna be uncomfortable on the bike tomorrow.
Clare Valley Motel

Clare Valley Motel

The Chef at the motel had taken ill at the start of the week and according to the owner, had just had a pacemaker fitted. He expects him back at work on Friday though – it’s Good Friday and the place is fully booked!

No comments:

Post a Comment