Friday 18 April 2014

Day 11: Ceduna – 51km west of Balladonia (1082km, 7779km total)



I picked a bad motel to book. The address said McKenzie street so I assumed it was in the town. Nuh uh. It was actually on the Eyre Highway with my paper thin door 20m from the only traffic that moves on it after dark – trucks. The walls & door were so thin I could hear the moths farting outside. The curtains didn’t manage to keep out the light, I could read with them closed.

Stay on this road for ever then turn ..... left

Ahead lay a day and more of straight, mainly flat, dull road. Only one way to deal with it, get on it and get as far as you can while keeping it legal as it’s a double demerits weekend. 

And that’s what I did – my first 1000km day of the trip. Travelling from east to west gave me probably one more hour of daylight (as well as 1.5 hours back in time from SA to WA time). I was on the road at first light, refuelled and running at 6:30AM. Put in 12 hours of riding before the light started going and made it 40km past Balladonia. I stayed there on my first night away, paid $120 for an ordinary room and didn’t sleep well. So, no point in making that mistake again, I refuelled and pressed on into the sunset!   

The plan was to make it to the next overnight parking spot but I lost the light well before I could get there so – bush camp it is. I’ve carried the gear around the country so let’s see if I can use it!

Camp's set - bit of a frace getting the tent up - good job there was nobody  to see it!


Fortune favours the brave and it was a perfect night for sleeping under the stars - didn't even need to close up the flysheet - there wasn't enough breeze to even ruffle it and not cold either. Up with the sun and off again ......

1 comment: